Friday, February 24, 2006

"It's great to be in Shanghai!"

For almost a year I have been waiting for someone worth seeing to come to town. Kenny G or Michael Bolton anyone? Until last night those were the most viable options (I think the obvious comment about Korean tastes best goes unsaid...).

Well, the long wait was definitely worth it. Last night was more than just a fantastic, entertaining concert — I witnessed the performance of a bona fide living legend, none other than the Godfather of Soul himself, James Brown. Not wasting anytime with an opening act, the hardest-working man in show business took the stage and delivered a solid dose of soul in Seoul (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Considering the man is now in his seventies, Brown can still move. And sing. I was actually quite taken aback with the quality of his voice, and the spiritedness of his performance. Running through his deep catalog of hits backed by a powerful band of standout musicians, James worked the stage and drove the crowd wild. That said, he did manage to silence the stadium when he declared: "It's great to be in Shanghai!" The awkward moment passed though, and everyone was more than willing to forgive the classic wrong city faux pas.

Another blogger wrote this review of the show, and I think her comments are spot on. Click here to see my pictures of the big event, and click below to see a video clip (apologies in advance for the poor quality).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home