Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas in Korea

As I make way around Seoul during the lead-up to Christmas I can't help but feel full of the holiday spirit. This is partly because I'm counting down the days till I fly home to be with my family, but also because the city is just so downright festive. Energy costs be damned, Seoul has been set ablaze with lights. In fact, some buildings downtown are covered with so many white lights that the result is jaw-droppingly beautiful. The light display at Seoul Plaza in front of City Hall can be seen from ten blocks away, and the ice rink that has sprouted up on the lawn rings with the happy sounds of people skating under the stars (yes, you can actually see stars — I guess the smog free skies are one consolation of the bone-chillingly cold clear nights!).

On of the most spectacular displays can be found at the Millennium Seoul Hilton. When you consider that this tree is supposedly worth C$3600, then I can only imagine the price tag for the four-story behemoth that graces the Hilton's lobby. It was also nice to see that the reason for the season was so prominently commemorated.

Last night Jessica and I had a great time seeing The Nutcracker at the Sejong Center. This was my first time seeing a ballet, and I was awestruck by what the dancers could do with their bodies. Say what you want about ballet, but the athleticism displayed and the obvious punishment the dancers endure to their bodies is undeniable. I was impressed.

To get a small taste of Christmas in Korea, click here to see a slideshow of my recent Christmas-theme pictures.

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These photos are fabulous! How I miss Korea. Yes, it is refreshing to see Christmas(Christ + mass) acknowledged for the holiday that it is. Here in Soviet Kanuckistan, stores would be so afraid to display any sort of religious item whatsoever for fear of 'offending' someone. Umm, little child born in poverty who preached love and peace, oh my, am I ever offended(insert sarcastic groans here). I simply loved how Buddhists, Christians and Shamans displayed their faiths fearlessly and in their right(perhaps this is the Korean fighting spirit). It's what makes people and life colourful. Say what one will, but differences unite, not separate.
Thanks for the photos! Great site!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home