Thursday, September 08, 2005

Sweet sounds in Seattle


When I went to Korea in March I opted for the cheapest flight available, which happened to be a web special fare on Singapore Airlines. I knew it was only a six month ticket, and didn't really have any intention of using the return leg of the ticket. When I realized I would be able to get the time off work to go home, I hatched a plan that would get me home for a quick visit, and engineered it so that my return would coincide with my favourite event of the year, Bumbershoot.

On paper the lineup this year looked a little lackluster, but I still managed to pack four full days with non-stop music. That is the great thing about Bumbershoot—even when it seems like there is nothing worth seeing, you always stumble upon somebody that you've never heard of before that proves to be at the very least interesting, and many times fantastic.

If there was any doubt beforehand, this year's festival confirmed that my musical tastes have changed noticeably in recent years. I made it to the Main Stage only once the entire weekend (site of the most mainstream acts). Instead, I basically camped out at the Backyard Stage and soaked up the alt.country goodness. Highlights of the festival for me this year included: the legendary Mavis Staples and Bo Diddley, the always outstanding Waybacks, the sweet sounds of The Be Good Tanyas, and infectious enthusiasm and energy of Buckwheat Zydeco.

The No Depression 10th Anniversary Show on Saturday night introduced me to Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion, and I promptly got in line to buy their excellent CD. Billy Joe Shaver didn't disappoint with a spirited performance, and Tift Merritt's set alone made the trip across the Pacific worth the effort. Son Volt packed the lush McCaw Hall Sunday night, and I finally got to see Jay Farrar live.

It seems every year I stumble upon an act that I have never heard of, but I end up needing to learn more about. This year's discovery was DeVotchKa. Wow, what can I say about a group that features a tuba, an accordion, and a lead singer with a voice that would be right at home on a David Lynch soundtrack? I bought their CD, and look forward to giving it a good listen.

For the most part the weather cooperated (in any case, I wasn't going to complain since anything was a relief after escaping the stifling Seoul summer), and Bumbershoot 2005 was another fantastic experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home