Friday, July 29, 2005

The Mac is back!


After a month of chugging along crippled with only half the memory it should have had, my Powerbook is now humming along again at full power!

The saga began one day when my computer suddenly began to feel slow and sluggish. After tinkering with this and that I was left scratching my head. By chance I opened the window that lists how much RAM is installed in the computer and was shocked to see that only half of the installed memory was being recognized by my Mac.

Fortunately, Seoul has an Apple Store (well, actually, it is not an official Apple Store, but the "Apple Experience Center" looks and feels like an Apple Store, and it is owned an operated by Apple Korea). After a quick inspection I was told my baby needed a new logic board. Apparently the needed part was put on the slow boat from the US (even though it was probably manufactured in China, or maybe even Korea!), because it took more than a month to arrive.

Long story short, I dropped off my Mac on Wednesday, picked it up on Friday. It is running faster, and better than ever! In typical Korean fashion, no paperwork was ever completed or exchanged. I assume they got my warranty information from the computer's serial number, but when I walked in the store to pick up my fixed computer, no one asked me for ID or a receipt. I simply gave my first name to someone I had never seen before, and he disappeared in the back and returned with my computer. He handed it over and I walked out the door!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home