Friday, July 22, 2005

Heat wave!

It's official: Korea is in the grip of a heat wave! According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, temperatures hovering above 30 degrees Celsius are here to stay for weeks to come. My fan is getting a real workout, with near 24 hour a day operation. Unfortunately it just keeps the air moving, and does nothing to cool it. The thermostat in my apartment read 35 degrees today for the first time. I asked Hyeran, the Korean teacher I work with, what Koreans do when it gets this hot. Besides eating dog soup (mostly eaten by men it brings new meaning to the phrase dog days of summer!), she said people take refuge in air-conditioned environments, banks and shopping malls being two of the most popular. So, if my house gets too unbearable today, I might go hang out at the bank! Ha ha ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home